Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Recommended Luggage

Everyone travels differently, but from my international trips, I have found "less really is more" and you can travel with 2 suitcases for 10-14 days: one checked piece and one carry-on along with a handbag or personal tote.  Remember, you are handling your luggage by yourself to get thru customs, get to transportation, and European hotel rooms are smaller than normal U.S. ones, so space is always an issue.  You may have to open it for a search, so be organized and simplify.

Here's what I have found can work for anyone...and trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.  By the way, should you ever wish to book a Rick Steves tour, he only allows ONE of these suitcases should you wish to travel with him!  If you are reading this....remember, you have been warned!

Luggage

Yes, I also own a matching larger 4 wheel spinner suitcase, but I use the matching smaller spinner suitcase for trips of 10 days or less, along with the carry-on tote for cosmetics, medicines, a change of clothes, trip documents, a snack and magazines.  If you haven't invested in a spinner, I highly recommend one for international travel.  Instead of "pulling" it behind you on 2 wheels, you simply move it along beside you on all 4 wheels.  Along with these 2 pieces, one to check and one to carry-on, I will take a tote in which I place my small cross-body purse, snacks, water, shawl, and if needed my raincoat and small umbrella.  The tote goes on my arm or shoulder.

Seen in the photo on the right are the same 2 pieces, with the shoulder bag looped over the spinner 4-wheeled handle.
















Packing

Here's my tip on how I made the transition from taking too many clothes...using the jumbo plastic bags (in photo below) to coordinate my clothes.  As a reference, my floor tiles are 24" square, so you see these bags are quite large). Ziploc also makes a larger blue tinted bag, if you prefer a bigger size.

I pack about a week before my departure (and this is key), then a few days before, reexamine everything for the current weather and USUALLY, will take out a few items, add one or two pieces.  At the same time I am looking to be sure my pieces can be used with items in other bags, as I mentioned before, choosing one main colorway for travel and then adding accessories for color.  If you place a pair of slacks in a bag with 2-3 tops, you will only need 3 slacks for the week (more if one of the pieces is white...a real no-no for Europe, but sometimes a necessary piece for tropical climates or cruises.

In each "outfit" bag I include socks, undergarments, and scarves.  I always keep simple jewelry in my carry-one, never taking "real" jewels on an overseas journey. As for shoes, one pair you will be wearing, one pair should go in your carry-on in case your checked suitcase goes astray, and a 3rd pair should be for inclimate weather.  Yes, we are going to tea and to the theatre, so if you wish to take a non-bulky pair of shoes for dressier wear, do so.  But remember, even the dressy shoes need to be ones in which you can walk a few blocks comfortably.

Shoes

 At the present time, these are the shoes I plan for this trip using my navy wardrobe color choice. Clockwise, from top:
1. Black ankle boots to wear with tights for theatre and tea. These work with a dress or pants and I can wear them all day long.
2.Top-sider brand rubber ankle boots for rainy weather....I have Dr. Scholls inserts in these which makes for a very comfortable fit on a long day.
3. Blue metallic boat shoes for everyday touring.
4. Navy blue Easy Spirit Traveltime shoes for everyday touring and wearing on the plane.

If possible, try to rotate your shoes daily, never wearing the same pair twice in a row.  Your feet will thank you!  Can you walk on uneven ground for an hour at a time? If yes, your shoes pass the test.  If no, think again about what you intend to bring.  Please no white athletic shoes (dead giveaway that you are a tourist) and no open toe shoes (again, not practical for traveling).  We have a busy schedule, and jeans really are not appropriate for the venues on this itinerary. You will see a lot of jeans worn by young people in London, so if you desire to have them for non-tour times (but not on the plane) you won't stand out as an American as in past years.

As a side note, be sure you have socks for the plane when you slip your shoes off.  No one wants to see your toes, no matter how cute your pedicure or nail polish. People are eating, and trying to relax, so feet on the back side of someone else's seat back can repulse many a passenger.

Forecast

For your reference, currently London is expecting a high of 59 degrees for tomorrow, 20 April 2016, and a low of 46 degrees.  In comparison, New York City had a high or 67 degrees today, with a low of 48 degrees. We are still 5 weeks before departure at the time of this writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment